Supporting a Tradition of Excellence from 1924 through today…
Omaha North High School was built in 1924 and remains an anchor to the North Omaha community. The original building has a unique E-shape, which stands not only for education but for excellence – two strong Viking traditions that remain intact today.
A Timeline of Omaha North High School
Omaha North High School, built for 1,500 students, opened on September 2nd, 1924. Omaha North High School is located at
4410 North 36th Street.
1930’s and 40’s
Student population growth
Twenty years after its opening, a landscaping project was dedicated, expanding the campus as the student population doubled in the 1930’s and 40’s. A few years later, the school underwent a large remodeling project that would accommodate the growing number of students known as the baby boomer generation. This expansion added a music wing, cafeteria, gymnasium and 26 more classrooms for a total of 75 teaching stations.
North High Becomes a Technology Magnet School
To make the magnet school vision a reality, a complete renovation was necessary to update North High’s infrastructure and teaching environment. In 1993, the renovation was complete. The purchase of several adjacent properties and several additions totaled $20 million, and expanded North High’s campus from four acres in 1924, to 12 acres in 1993. At this time, extensive training was given to the teaching staff, and physical changes included the building of a new Viking Center, library, and multi-purpose facility for physical education and athletics.
Student-Designed Engineering Wing Transports North High to the Future
North High continued its Viking Voyage into the 21st century with the addition of the Haddix Center for Engineering, Science and Technology. Initiated by the enthusiasm of North High’s engineering students who wanted a first class facility to parallel the outstanding curriculum of their program, the students designed the new building and presented the plans to the school board and other leaders of the Omaha Community.
With support from the architectural engineering firm, RDG, leadership from the Omaha North High School Foundation, and financial support from many generous donors, the state of art, LEED certified engineering wing was built. With the addition of the Haddix Center engineering, science and technology wing, North High School can fully prepare students for their role in a highly technological and global society.
Omaha North High School Foundation
The Omaha North High School Foundation was incorporated in 1992 to provide scholarships & improve educational opportunities for all Vikings. In 2014, to honor North High’s 90 years of excellence, the Foundation set a $900,000 goal for its endowment fund – the income from which scholarships and support arises.
In the last 15 years, the Foundation has awarded $400-500K in scholarships to deserving students. Today and beyond, the Foundation’s goal is to expand its endowment fund beyond $1,000,000, to reach and include even more deserving young people.
Gene R Haynes Street
North 36th and Sahler Streets, just outside of Omaha North High School, was renamed Gene R. Haynes Street. North High alum Roberta White and her sister, Bridgette Gilchrist, initiated the street dedication plan. The sisters submitted a request to the Omaha City Council to name a street after Haynes. “He’s had an impact on so many young people,” Gilchrist said. “I’m sure there are people who wouldn’t have finished high school if it wasn’t for Mr. Haynes being on them every single day.”
Content derived from the article “Crowd of 200+ celebrates Gene R. Haynes Street near North High” , Omaha World-Herald, Oct. 24, 2014
Today & Beyond
30+ years of North High support
In the last 30 years, the Foundation has awarded $400-500K in scholarships to deserving students. Today and beyond, the Foundation’s goal is to expand its endowment fund beyond $1,000,000, to reach and include even more deserving young people.
“We take great pride in the many accomplishments of our North High alumni, and are grateful for the outstanding civic and professional contributions each one of them has made in this great society in which we live.”